These days it’s a given that with any ERP system that your business uses requires a built-in security system that not only helps to keep your database secure but also helps to ensure that the data contained isn’t accessed by anyone that is unauthorised. Better still, your system should have the flexibility to set permissions based on the level of access required by certain users.
To help you on your journey of protecting your system, we’ve pulled together 21 ways that provide you with a solid understanding on how the security features within Dynamics 365 Business Central work and the steps that you can take to safeguard it from hackers or cyber criminals.
Make changes to your Business Central setup
1) Make sure that is a clearly laid out approval system when it comes to making journal entries, orders & payments.
2) Separate responsibilities to ensure only a limited number of employees are given Super User permissions to be able to create a Vendor record, raise an order, receipt it and pay the Vendor by themselves.
3) If you are able to, keep your master records separate from your transactions.
4) Regularly keeping an eye on bank reconciliations is pivotal for your business. Ensure that every single reconciliation (bank, vendor, customer) is reviewed and/or approved by your line manager.
5) Make sure that the capability to export & edit in Excel is only enabled for users who have a firm grasp of GDPR and the risks of industrial espionage.
Ways to improve your system settings
1) Make sure multi-factor authentication is in place to help protect access to the application as well as your data.
2) Don’t solely rely on system permission sets. The important thing to note here is the fact that you are unable to edit these and they do not address any segregation of duties that may exist within your business. In this scenario, the best thing to do here is to create new ones by building User-defined permission sets which will provide you with editable copies of the system permission sets or new ones that have been built from the ground up.
3) You are able to import permission sets into or export from Business Central. Therefore, if you have another Business Central tenant, you can simply export them out and back into another one.
4) You can build or modify permission sets through the Record Permission function in your Business Central solution.
5) Creating user groups in Dynamics 365 Business Central will provide you with the capability to be able to manage permission sets for certain groups of users operating in your organisation. Furthermore, permission sets given to certain user groups will stay synchronised. The good thing about this is the fact that when you make any changes then these will automatically be updated for the users of that group.
6) Make sure that the built-in change log is switched on to capture any changes that have been made to a user’s permissions.
Ways to manage risk in your business
1) Ensure that you create and make use of workflow approval processes. This is extremely important as it will somewhat force users to review what they are approving before it goes out rather than just assuming its correct.
2) It goes without saying but before any security settings are changed in the live system please make sure that you test them first in a Sandbox environment.
3) Ensure that you regularly monitor users and the levels of access that they have to the system.
4) Ensure that you regularly check your system for users that are inactive and thus should be removed from your system.
Make changes to your processes
1) Ensure that you have clear processes in place to handle both requests and adding other users to the system. It is also important to include all the info you need about the user permissions required and have a sound approvals process.
2) Have a streamlined process to be able to quickly and efficiently add backup user access as and when it is needed in the business.
3) Have an emergency plan in place for access and have a clearly defined process for removing this access afterwards.
4) Make sure that users have the right type and level of training. As you will not want to see an erroneous journal which could be very costly and reduce the accuracy of your critical business data.
1) If you are looking to find out how secure your Business Central system is then we are currently offering a FREE Dynamics Health Check to establish any improvements that you could make to improve the performance of it.